In the multicentural cultural history of Jagodina our school takes a special place among the cultural and educational institutions in the city and wider. It is one of the oldest state defectological institution in Serbia and Yugoslavia, the fourth special school for children with hearing and speech impairments (after Zagreb in 1885., Belgrade in 1897., and Ljubljana in 1990).
[Appearance of school-30's of the 20th century] And its past begins in early 1918. in Tunisian city of Bizerte where on May 9th was established ‘The school for blind and deaf Serbs’, which dealt with the reeducation of Serbian army soldiers who survived the Albanian calvary. Such care about deaf and blind warriors through vocational training for specific trades, formalized the Joint Conference of French-Belgian committee in Paris from 8th-11th May,1917. Extensive work in collecting disabled, completed a conscript of clerical order Veljko Ramadanovic, who visited the hospital for six months and took the disabled to Bizerte. He was also a qualified teacher who organized the teaching of deafen and blinded warriors. The school worked in Bizerte until April 1st, 1919, when the whole disability squad moved to the country, first in Gruz port and then to Zemun (in late 1920`s), where the state has established the Disability Office. Veljko Ramadanovic has continued his mission in Serbia when to his proposal the Ministry of Social Affairs decided to care about children with disabilities and the Disability Institute in Zemun on September 1st, 1924 transformed into the Institute for blind, deaf and crippled children.
Primary school for deaf students enrolled in the 12 students in the first grade on September 1st, 1926. and that date is taken as the beginning of school in Zemun. The first teacher of the newly opened department was Miodrag Matic, who was, still in Prague in 1922/23., trained to work with deaf children.
The school was moved from Zemun to Jagodina in 1928., by order of the Ministry of Social Affairs, [School students and teachers-in 1937. ] into the building of ‘Children`s dormitory’, in which the infants were placed. Moving from Zemun conducted Miodrag Matic, who, as the only qualified person was appointed warden. He arrived before moving to prepare the building on May 11th for movement. The opening ceremony of dormitory was on September 1st , 1928, in the presence of representatives of the national educational authorities and citizens. The Dormitory has received the official name "The Central Institution for education of hearing and speech impaired children," that 1930 was named "Dormitory of deaf of King Alexander I". In the new school came and all of the teachers as well as 36 pupils. The capacities of the school were till 100 students, so was a huge campaign launched to inform the public about the work of the school and to fill in capacities.
The school in the first five years of work was so affirmed that it had to return the potential students until it was free space in the dormitory. With the increase in the number of children and receiving all the younger children, Miodrag Matic introduces elementary education of deaf children and novelty to receive in the education and female children. The school in this period entered the public school system and was financed by a budgetary institution allowing it to quickly become a nursery surdopedagogic and speech therapy thought. School specifics in the first decade were the following: opening of maternal school for young deaf children in the institute-preschool class, the opening of "acoustic department" for the hard of hearing children, the organization of work on speech pathology.
Our school was a gumnasium of high special education`s school in Belgrade, and after the establishment of the Faculty of Special Education in 1975. continued this tradition.
The big names of special education and surdoaudiology who had left their traces in our school: prof. Miodrag Matic, Desimir Ristović, prof. Ljubomir Acimovic, dr.Ljubomir Savic and many others.
See a gallery